Previously, we’ve discussed some ideas for what you should be A/B testing and at the top of that list was headlines. Headlines can have a dramatic affect on your site’s ability to persuade site visitors and improve conversion rates. Because of this, they should be one of your top priorities when it comes to testing. Fortunately for WordPress users, there’s a plugin for that appropriately named Headline Split Tester, which allows you to easily and simultaneously run two individual headlines and see which wins.
How it works:
- Install the plugin
- Enter an alternate headline for each of your posts
- The plugin will automatically choose one headline and show it randomly to each visitor. In time, the most relevant headline, which received the most clicks will automatically become the permanent headline.
*SEO Note: the original permalink will not change, so you won’t have to worry too much about your SEO being affected. However, when the alternate headline is displayed, all previous ‘likes’ and tweets, etc. disappear.
Headline Copy Strategies to Test:
- Fractions or percentages to prove your claim
- Asking a question in the headline
- Using emotional words
- Varying types of formatting: including bold/italics, capitalization etc.
- The number of words used in your headline (long vs. short)
- Self focused (us/we) vs. customer focused (you) language