Over the past few months… it has become crystal clear to me that to “win” online…you must “spend” online. Now, the age-old old axiom of the “rich getting richer” has always been true in the real world….but throughout most of the history of Internet Marketing…it actually has been quite the opposite. Those with the brains and ingenuity could thrive online – without the need for deep pockets. In fact, one of the primary benefits of the Google AdWords advertising console was the fact that anyone (even small companies with little budget) could compete with the big brands on a level playing field. With pay per click costs rising (most Industries are now over $2 a click) a small budget will not get you far, These days, you need lots of money to play.
- If you spend more than $6k per month on Google AdWords you get your OWN Google account rep. Heck, Google will even SET UP your account for you.
- If you spend more than $20K per month on Paid Search Advertising, you can qualify (to pay even more) for PPC Automation tools like Kenshoo and Marin Software. These tools, are powerful and can automate in seconds what it would take months for people to do without these tools..
- If you spend more than $10k per month on Publisher Websites, you can expect to obtain remnant ad space, additional impressions, and/or other goodies by being a good advertiser (since you could literally advertise a million other places).
- If you spend more than $20k on Web Design/Development, your site likely will be built with the latest software, plugins, and accessories. These features are not currently available at your local mom and pop web design shops only at the bigger agencies (some that have $20k minimum on web design projects).
- If you spend more than $1k per month on Content Development, you can expect to obtain steep discounts. Prices at our shop drop from .20 per word to .08 per word, depending on your page volume.
- If you are willing to spend more than $750 per month on Link Building, you can get premium link which are ideal for improved search engine optimization rankings.. and frankly the only way to compete these days. Money is usually offered, as sort of a bribe, to website owners with good Google rankings to encourage them to place a link on their site back to yours. It is virtually impossible to obtain a quality link without paying for it, in some way, shape, or form.
- If you are willing to spend more than $3k per month on a Search Engine Optimization program can get more content, more links, more social media …i.e. more attention from your agencies and, ultimately, from the engines.
While it is true that some people can still make a good living maintaining their current websites, it is getting more complex and more difficult to sustain enviable market positions without sinking more and more money into your website and online marketing programs. Whether you choose to be sad, mad, or indifferent about this new online reality – this is the new way of the web. You must spend money, if you want to compete.